NEW READ!!! ADMISSION INTO PhD PROGRAMME IN GAS, REFINING AND PETROCHEMICAL OPERATIONS FOR 2022/2023 ACADEMIC SESSION
ONLINE APPLICATION PORTAL IS NOW OPEN. ALL APPLICANTS MUST FILL OUR ONLINE APPLICATION BEFORE PROCEEDING TO MAKE PAYMENT.
The NLNG Centre for Gas, Refining and Petrochemical Engineering was established in August 2013 with the aim of providing post-graduate academic and industry-oriented education required for sound gas processing, crude oil refining and petrochemical process operations. The Centre is a research hub and propagates the culture of excellence through sustained learning. It also seeks to act as a vehicle to achieve and sustain the Nigerian content initiative.
The Centre promotes collaborations and partnerships with industry and universities across the globe. The Centre offers programmes which reflect the global realities and therefore attaches great importance to students’ participation in courses to develop proficiency in the use of analytic tools.
The teaching faculty is drawn from the University of Port Harcourt, Industry Professionals with cognate experience and other collaborating institutions. The ratio of teaching staff from university is (60%), other institutions (10%) and the industry (30%). This principle guides the selection of resource persons to teach in the Centre.
Satisfy the general University requirements for admission into PhD programmes
Possess a Master’s degree in Gas, Refining and Petrochemical Engineering, and related disciplines acceptable to the Centre such as Chemical Engineering, Gas Engineering, Petrochemical Engineering, Industrial Chemistry, with a minimum CGPA of 3.5 (on a scale of 5.0) or a minimum score of 60% obtained from a recognized university.
Be successful in a proposal presentation/admission interview in the Centre.
Every candidate coming for the interview is expected to bring along the following:
- Two letters of reference from persons qualified to comment on his or her academic work.
- Four copies of his or her proposed research plan in the selected area of specialization.
FOR TECHNICAL ISSUES, EMAIL: email@example.com, or call +2347067281841
The aim of this Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) programme in Gas, Refining and Petrochemicals operations is to provide graduates with broad-based training required for sound knowledge, skills and expertise in gas processing, crude oil refining and petrochemical production operations.
The objectives of this programme are to commit the students’ talents to:
- Develop different energy strategies/plans to sustainably utilise fossil fuels in the global energy mix.
- Analysis and evaluate hydrocarbon chemistry and sequence of crude oil processing operations, including crude oil distillation, refinery equipment and flow sheet.
- Co-create energy recovery networks for case studies on refinery and petrochemicals.
- Adequately apply economic and contractual knowledge to address technical challenges in the petrochemical and natural gas industry.
- Evaluate the major polymer types, plastics, additives and modifiers in the context of natural gas utilisation.
- Develop efficient and cost effective crude and natural gas conversion processes
- Technical and economic evaluations of catalytic reforming process and unit for improved product yield.
- Apply in-depth knowledge of process unit operations to design, analysis and evaluate heat exchangers.
- Develop in-depth understanding of reaction systems, including process flow and control, corrosion and maintenance of equipment, for technical improvement.
- Apply the knowledge of process modelling and simulation to improve refinery/petrochemical systems.
- Develop advanced skills and competencies in project management, process system optimization, energy economic and supply chain management, entrepreneurship, and business theories and models.
The programme shall last for a minimum of 24-calendar months (2 years) and maximum of 60-calendar months (5 years) of full-time study, or a minimum of 60-calendar months (5 years) and a maximum of 86-calendar months (7 years) of part-time study.
The Gas, Refining and Petrochemical Engineering PhD programme consists of coursework and a thesis. The degree is awarded primarily on the basis of research conducted by the student, after he or she has fulfilled the general University requirements for the programmes leading to the Ph.D. degree. The following specific conditions apply:
- On provisional admission, the candidate is required to pass the taught coursework to continue the PhD. programme. It is compulsory for candidates to take the generally taught courses and any other course in the area of specialization. However, where the need arises the Centre would advise students to audit some relevant courses.
- The Centre shall also require the Ph.D. student to audit or select, in consultation with his/her supervisor, courses which will best assist him/her pass the taught courses and succeed in the research work and thesis in the area of specialization.
- Prior to being formally admitted to the candidacy of the PhD programme, the prospective student must demonstrate his or her knowledge of the engineering fundamentals by passing the qualifying examination to assess his/her eligibility for the programme.
- A successful Ph.D. candidate will be expected to present a research proposal not later than 3 months after the qualifying examination.
- A Ph.D. Student is expected to participate in seminar and should present at least three seminar papers in the course of the research work to the Centre.
- To qualify for the award of Ph.D, the candidate must publish at least three technical papers, two of which must be publications in reputable journals and one conference paper. In addition, or in the place of one journal article, candidates may have at least one patent
- On provisional completion of the research work, the candidate will be required to present a thesis based on the outcome of the research. He/she shall present the work in the following order:
- Graduate Board of the Centre;
- Faculty Graduate Board; and
- School of Graduate Studies.
Finally, upon presentation of the seminars, successful candidate will take an oral external defence of the work before a Board of examiners setup in accordance with the regulations of School of Graduate Studies.
- The Ph.D. degree is awarded upon satisfactory performance in the oral examination and fulfilment of all University and Centre requirements.
Detailed Method of Application
- Application form is to be filled online.
- A non-refundable Application Fee of N30,000 (Twenty Five Thousand Naira) will be paid to the Centre for Gas, Refining and Petrochemicals, University of Port Harcourt or Payment made online via Debit card( www.cgrpng.org/payments)
- Scanned copies of relevant credentials will be uploaded on the website
Bank deposit could be made. details below
Accout number: 1017464139
Account Name: Centre for Gas, Refining & Petrochemicals, University of Port Harcourt
Bank Name: UBA
THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS SHOULD BE UPLOADED TO THE WEBSITE AFTER THE ONLINE APPLICATION
- A handwritten letter stating your reasons for applying.
- Curriculum vitae of ONE PAGE ONLY.
- Copies of the Credentials i.e. WAEC, GCE, NYSC Discharge Certificate & University degrees, etc and, if applicable, an attestation of attendance at an educational establishment.
- Detailed records of results (TRANSCRIPT)
- Two recent identity photographs with your last name and first name on the back.
- Bank draft
- NAMES AND ADDRESSES OF TWO REFEREES:– An academic (Lecturer, Head of Department, Professor)
– A corporate officer (clergy, employer, training period supervisor, etc.).
The completed Application Forms should be submitted with the bank draft at the CENTRE FOR GAS, REFINING AND PETROCHEMICALS office or be sent by courier service.
ADDRESS YOUR ENVELOPE TO:
CENTRE FOR GAS, REFINING AND PETROCHEMICALS, UNIPORT,
NLNG CENTRE FOR GAS, REFINING AND PETROCHEMICALS COMPLEX,
ALONG EAST/WEST ROAD,